Start Date: 11/6/2019 8:00 AM CST
End Date: 11/6/2019 3:45 PM CST
Venue Name: Extension Meeting Room, CCC College Park Building Location:
3180 West U.S. Highway 34
Grand Island, NE United States 68801
Nebraska On-Site Waste Water Association
8:00 am Check-In
8:30 am Wastewater 101 - What is it and how do we treat it?
- Not all wastewater is created equal.
9:30 am Break
9:45 am Tony Mendes - NDEQ, OWAC & NOWWA Update
- Explain the changes within NDEQ.
- Proposed regulation changes, brief overview process.
- Participant feedback & questions.
10:15 am Changing Water Usage
- Overview of study evaluating water use from over 23 utilities and over 1,000 homes.
11:15 am Water Treatment Devices: Research, Impacts & Recommendations
- Water treatment devices and their effects on a septic system.
12:15 pm Lunch
1:00 pm Aerobic or Anaerobic - Which is better?
- How both anaerobic and aerobic processes are used to treat the wastewater.
- How a system’s design & components influence performance.
- How use patterns in the home can affect treatment patterns.
2:00 pm Break
2:15 pm Becky Schuerman - Update Status of Extension Program
- Introduction of who I am.
- Why are PDH's/CEU’s required?
- The importance of taking a variety of continuing education.
2:45 pm Applications & Benefits for Advanced Treatment Systems
- The benefits, applications, and options of pre-treatment devices beyond the septic tank.
3:45 pm Final Wrap-Up, Complete & Submit Training Evaluations and Adjourn
About the Speakers
Dr. Sara Heger is an engineer, researcher and instructor at the UMN Water Resources Center’s Onsite Sewage Treatment Prgm. and is an Adjunct Asst. Professor in the Bioproducts and Biosystems Engr. Dept. She has presented on the science of wastewater treatment including design, installation and mgt. throughout N. America. Sara is the president-elect of NOWRA and the Edu. chair of the MOWA. Sara serves on the NSF Int’l Cmte.
on Wastewater Treatment Systems and is also the chair of the MN State Adv. Cmte. On Decentralized Systems. She has a BS in Biosystems & Ag Engr. and an MS and a Ph.D. in Water Resource Science.
Tony Mendes is Nebraska Certified in the areas of installation, layout, and design, inspection and pumping and has been in the business for 20+ years. He was one of the original board members for NOWWA and is a former NOWWA President. Tony served as one of five appointed industry representatives to the OWWAC board. He has made presentations to the Relator Boards on how Title 124 pertains to real estate sales/closings and has worked with many clients in evaluating and repairing septic systems as well.
Becky Schuerman is the Univ. of NE Extension Associate for Domestic Water/WW Management. She worked in the regulatory field for the State of Nebraska Public Drinking Water and Water Well Standards Programs for over 17 years before starting with the Extension in April.